Instant Pot Curried Butternut Squash Soup is full of warming Thai inspired flavors. With red curry paste, creamy coconut milk and fragrant garlic and ginger, this vegan butternut squash soup is a delicious spicy spin on classic bisque.
- medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 large onions, rough chopped
- 2 cups of vegetable broth or stock
- 13.66 ounces of coconut milk (1 can)
- 4 cloves of garlic pressed
- 1 inch of freshly grated ginger OR 1 tsp of ginger powder
- 2 tbs red curry paste
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 1/8–1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes *optional
- Lime wedges and fresh cilantro for garnish
- Roasted butternut squash seeds or pumpkin seeds for garnish
Peel and cube the butternut squash and rough chop the onion. Pour the olive oil into the liner of the Pot and put the cooked veggies into the inner liner of the Instant Pot. Season the veggies with the pressed garlic, grated ginger, curry paste and soy sauce. Pour in the veggie broth and give everything a good stir to combine. Then pour in the coconut milk. Do not stir.
Secure the lid on the Instant Pot and make sure the valve is set to sealing. Pressure cook on high for 8 minutes. When the Pot beeps, do a quick release. Once it’s done releasing the pressure, open the lid.
Either use an immersion blender and blend right in the inner liner of the Pot until smooth or carefully transfer the cooked squash and liquid into a good blender and blend until smooth. You can add a little more broth to thin it out if desired.
Dish it into bowls and garnish with fresh cilantro, a squeeze of lime juice, roasted squash seeds and a few dollops of coconut cream. Enjoy!
see post for stove top method
- Category: soup, dinner, vegetarian, lunch
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American, Asian
Keywords: Instant Pot butternut squash soup, Thai butternut squash soup, Thai curry butternut squash soup, curried butternut squash soup