Garlic roasted chickpeas with parmesan cheese are a flavor packed crunchy recipe you’ll love. This roasted chickpea recipe is perfect for a snack or for use in salads and pastas. Simple ingredients and a quick cooktime!
Post may contain affiliate links. As a member of the Amazon affiliate program, I may earn a small commision from qualifying purchases. To read my affiliate policy, click here.
If I had my druthers, we’d be vegetarian.
But alas my husband and kids both enjoy things like Baked Parmesan Chicken Nuggets and pepperoni and Grilled Buffalo Wings and Bacon and Cheese Stuffed Bacon Burgers.
Of course, to be totally honest, I do enjoy a good burger myself.
But that said, I still try to work tons of vegetable protein into my diet so we only eat meat a couple times a week.
And chickpeas are one of my favorite ways to do that!
I add them to everything and we always have several cans in our pantry unless our oldest son has eaten them all first!
You might think they could get boring, but this garlic roasted chickpea recipe with Parmesan cheese is anything but boring!
We’re talking crunchy, snackable goodness.
A little salty, a little zippy and addicting.
With only a couple ingredients, we make these in our house at least 3 times a week and eat them happily.
Ingredients and Kitchen Tools
To make these you’ll need these ingredients:
- Chickpeas– I used canned chickpeas. Drain them and rinse them well.
- Parmesan cheese– The grated kind in the shaker.
- Spices– Garlic powder, salt and pepper.
You’ll also want these kitchen basics on hand:
- A cookie sheet– To bake the chickpeas on
- Foil– To put on the cookie sheet
- Colander– A small one to strain the can of chickpeas.
- Cooking spray
How to Make
1. Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
Open the can of chickpeas. Pour it into a colander and let the liquid from the can drain away. Rinse them well under cold water.
2. Toss with cheese and garlic.
Toss the chickpeas with grated Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and salt and pepper until they are well coated.
3. Bake the chickpeas.
Spread the chickpeas out in an even layer on a cookie sheet you’ve lined with foil and sprayed liberally with nonstick spray. Bake them at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Enjoy!
How to Use Crispy Garlic Roasted Chickpeas with Parmesan
There are so many ways to use them!
I love to just snack on these, but I also use them in:
- in place of or in addition to croutons in salads
- as a topping on pasta
- in grain bowls
If you have leftovers, just let them cool and transfer them to an airtight container.
Refrigerate it for up to a week and serve cool or reheat them in the oven til warmed through.
Are roasted chickpeas still good for you?
Yes! According to Healthline, chickpeas are a good source of vegetarian protein, fiber, and nutrients. This recipe adds a bit more protein with Parmesan cheese. Of course if you are concerned about your fat intake, you could reduce the amount of Parmesan cheese you use.
Why are my roasted chickpeas not crunchy?
Chances are you either didn’t roast them long enough or at a high enough temperature. I like to roast them at 400 to make sure they get good and crispy.
Do you have to soak chickpeas before roasting?
I never do and they turn out perfectly each time!
Do chickpeas have a lot of protein?
Yes! A half cup of chickpeas has more protein than an egg!
Tips and Tricks
- You don’t necessarily *need* to use foil to line your tray but it makes clean up a breeze!
- Spray everything very liberally with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- Make sure to discard any loose skins from the chickpeas.
- Here’s one recipe where I do not recommend using fresh garlic over garlic powder. The garlic powder will more evenly coat everything and won’t create any spots with a really sharp bite.
Other Recipes with Chickpeas
Looking for ways to add more chickpeas into your rotation? Try these ideas:
- Pasta with Chickpeas
- Sweet Garlic Chili Chickpea Salad with Roasted Broccoli
- Thai Pumpkin Curry with Butternut and Chickpeas
- Lemony Loaded Greek Salad with Hummus
- Easy Greek Orzo Salad
- Tomato Chickpea and Quinoa Salad with Lemon Basil Vinaigrette
- Easy Thai Chickpea Curry
Did you make this? Let me know!
Did you make these garlic roasted chickpeas with Parmesan or any other recipe on my site? Leave me a comment below and let me know how you liked it. And make sure you follow along with me on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram to see everything we’ve got going on.
Garlic Roasted Chickpeas with Parmesan Cheese
Garlic roasted chickpeas with parmesan cheese are a flavor packed crunchy recipe you'll love. This roasted chickpea recipe is perfect for a snack or for use in salads and pastas. Simple ingredients and a quick cooktime!
- 1 can of drained and rinsed chickpeas
- 1/4 c Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas until all the foamy liquid is gone and the water runs clear underneath the colander.
- Discard any skins and pat the chickpeas with a paper towel to get rid of any excess water.
- Add the chickpeas to a small bowl with the Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and salt and pepper.
- Toss them with the seasonings until coated.
- Pour the chickpeas onto a baking sheet you've lined with foil and sprayed liberally with cooking spray.
- Bake the chickpeas at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool slightly.
see post for notes