Easy candy cane hearts make adorable homemade candy perfect for Christmas or even for Valentine’s Day. With only 3 ingredients and easy prep, this is the perfect project to get the kids in the kitchen.
Post may contain affiliate links. To read my affiliate policy, click here.
If you’ve been following this little site for awhile, you may be aware of how much I adore making easy, fun recipes with my daughter.
We try to do at least one for most holidays. It’s so fun! And I really love teaching her how to cook, bake and make treats.
Aside from doing fun kitchen activities with my 6 year old, I also adore hearts. In real life, I pretty much bleed glitter and pink. It’s just how I roll. And I love making cute heart recipes like homemade chocolate hearts or these adorable and easy candy cane hearts.
You only need 3 ingredients to make these cute candies. To make them you need:
- Candy canes– You need the mini candy canes, not the big ones.
- Chocolate– Use any kind of chocolate you like. Just make sure you are using a higher quality chocolate here.
- Sprinkles– Obviously. Use Christmas sprinkles for Christmas or cute red and pink ones for Valentine’s Day.
You also need a couple of basic kitchen materials to make these including:
How to Make
- Arrange the candy canes like hearts.
Lay the candy canes on the baking tray, using 2 candy canes to form one heart as shown. Make sure you have lined the tray with parchment paper.
- Melt the chocolate.
To melt the chocolate, put it in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Then stir and microwave again for 15 seconds. Repeat the 15 second intervals, stirring in between each time until the chocolate is smooth. Transfer it to a plastic sandwich bag or pastry bag. Snip the tip off of the bag.
- Fill the hearts.
Pipe the chocolate into the center of the hearts. Finish by decorating them with sprinkles.
You can store these candies covered on your counter for one to two weeks.
And of course, you could gift them! To gift them, I’d recommend wrapping them in 4×6 treat wrappers and putting the wrapped candies in a tin.
Tips and Tricks
- Just because these candies are made from candy canes doesn’t mean you can only make them for Christmas! This would be a cute Valentine’s Day candy to make as well. Just change the sprinkles.
- Use any kind of chocolate you like. We used both semi sweet and white chocolate for these but dark or milk chocolate would also work well.
- Be careful not to overheat the chocolate. If you cook it too much, the chocolate will clump and taste yucky.
- You can thin the chocolate by mixing a tablespoon of coconut oil into it after you’ve melted the chocolate.
- If doing this project with kids, I HIGHLY recommend cutting a very small hole into the piping bag instead of a larger hole. The smaller the hole, the more control you or your child will have when filling the hearts.
Other Homemade Candies You Might Like
I love making fun homemade candies. Some of my favorites are:
- Homemade Chocolate Hearts– Looking for the perfect Valentine’s Day treat? These pretty chocolate hearts are it!
- Chocolate Truffles with Sea Salt– Decadent, indulgent and delicious anytime.
- Cookie Dough Bites– These cookie dough candies feature safe to eat dough covered in chocolate.
- Salted Caramel Pretzel Bark– Salted caramel, pretzels and chocolate make a delicious treat.
Did you make these CANDY CANE HEARTS or any other recipe or project on my site? Leave me a comment below and let me know how you liked. And make sure you follow along with me on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram to see everything we’re making!
- 24 mini candy canes
- 1 cup of chocolate
- Arrange the candy canes like hearts. Lay the candy canes on the baking tray, using 2 candy canes to form one heart as shown. Make sure you have lined the tray with parchment paper.
- Melt the chocolate. To melt the chocolate, put it in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Then stir and microwave again for 15 seconds. Repeat the 15 second intervals, stirring in between each time until the chocolate is smooth. Transfer it to a plastic sandwich bag or pastry bag.
- Fill the hearts. Cut a small hole at the end of the bag. Pipe the chocolate into the center of the hearts. Finish by decorating them with sprinkles. Let them set for at least half an hour or longer until the chocolate is hardened.
see post for notes