It feels special you know. Maybe because of the blood oranges. Or maybe because it is absolutely gorgeous.
Seriously, I almost felt guilty eating it the way I almost felt guilty eating the blood orange roast chicken. Because the two dishes are works of art. It’s the blood oranges. Things of beauty that they are.
And just like the blood orange roast chicken, this salad could definitely be dinner party salad. Or if you are us and sort of introverted and entertain like 3 times a year, this is amazing everyday salad. And I do mean every day. After I made it to go along with the blood orange roast chicken, I ate the leftovers 3 days in a row for lunch. And I loved it each day.
How could I not? Tangy and tart blood oranges, spicy arugula, nutty quinoa, and sweet dressing. And let’s not forget the cheese. Salty Parmesan to bring it all together. But don’t feel married to the Parmesan. You could totally substitute ricotta salata or feta. Any cheese with a bit of a salty bite will do. It’s perfect.
And even more glorious: the Goose eats part of this. She actually likes the quinoa and the orange slices. So that’s something. Real food and not fairy dust and bits of magic keeping the child alive. Honestly, I know everyone says not to worry about the picky phase, but I’m a mom. Of course, I worry.
Aside from actually eating bits of this salad, she also took several bites of the oranges before they were peeled. She recently figured out how to eat whole apples. And of course by eat whole apples, I really mean she takes bites of the apples in random spots, and decides after 3 bites she’s done. Toddlers.
So it definitely says a lot that she eats this salad. I mean aside from being my reassurance that she won’t get rickets or something. It means this salad is extra delicious because it’s toddler approved.
Light and fresh blood orange salad on spicy arugula
- 2 5 ounce bags of arugula
- 4 blood oranges, peeled and cut into slices
- 1 cup of uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup of shaved Parmesan cheese or any other kind of salty cheese
For the dressing
- the juice of 1 large orange
- 2 tbs of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbs honey
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1 tsp of chopped fresh rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the quinoa according to the instructions on package. Remove from heat and let cool. While quinoa is cooking, peel the oranges and cut them into slices.
- In a large salad bowl, add the arugula. Top with the quinoa and cut orange slices. Finish with Parmesan cheese and toss together.
For the dressing
- In a bowl whisk together the juice of 1 large orange, balsamic vinegar, and the honey. When combined well, vigorously whisk while drizzling in the olive oil. Finish by stirring in the rosemary and salt and pepper. Stir or shake the dressing immediately prior to serving.
- Category: salad
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 3-4 meal sized servings or about 6 side servings