The husband is back with Cranberry Orange Chicken. I came up with the concept, but my husband executed it and added Siracha into the mix. Not only is he kind enough to cook dinner regularly, but he is genius enough to know Siracha makes so many things perfect. Gotta love those qualities in a man. Now without further ado, here’s Nate with the post.
Talk about a run away, spicy hit! This Cranberry Orange Chicken is an excellent fusion of Asian inspired food and seasonal flavors, all served over a bed of rice.
I must admit, I was skeptical at first. The concept of orange chicken has never appealed to me. Those packets of orange duck sauce always seemed a bit off at Chinese restaurants even though Jenna puts them on everything. Still, it is not pumpkin flavored anything –
Ah, yeah, I’m one of those few that doesn’t seem excited about pumpkin spice everything. Don’t get me wrong. I do eat and generally enjoy pumpkin recipes, but it is not my go to meal or something I crave… though I might change my mind with our Chipotle Pumpkin Cheese Dip or the Autumn Chicken Skillet, but I digress.
And this is definitely not what one would consider “man food” like my other recipes like my Bacon and Cheese Stuffed Burger. But that can be misleading. This Cranberry Orange Chicken served over rice is pleasingly sweet, spicy and filling. It should be enough to feed your family or just yourself if you like. Plus it can be on the table in 30 minutes, making it perfect for busy weeknights.
Our Goose loved this dish too. She helped me make it. OK she supervised more than anything… OK OK, she basically twirled around at my feet half the time I was preparing it. It was really more of a hazard than help, but no adults, toddlers, or dogs were hurt in the making of this recipe.
Yeah the Goose has taken to dancing with “Dada.” This consists of anything from twirling around at my feet to demanding “Dada, dance.” At that point, she asks for my hands and spins around in a circle around my feet.
Someone has seen Anastasia one to many times where they show ballroom dancing from time to time. And sing. Yes, a non-Disney princess movie that involves singing. Anyway, that has affected how I have to dance around the kitchen while I prepare our meals.
Thankfully, this Cranberry Orange Chicken turned out perfectly despite our dance party in the kitchen. And as I stated earlier, it is delicious, filling, and what I like to call toddler approved.Print
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup soy sauce or tamari sauce for gluten free
- 1/3 cup sirachi sauce (omit or reduce if you are sensitive to heat)
- 3–4 cloves crushed or minced garlic
- 1 pound chicken breast, cut into small pieces
- 1 bunch of asparagus, approximately one pound, trimmed and cut into pieces
- 1 cup whole cranberries
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 1 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 2 cups cooked rice (we used brown)
- scallions, for garnish
- Heat olive oil and garlic and jalapeno over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes
- Add spears of asparagus, cook for about 5 minutes or until starting to get tender
- Add chicken, orange juice, soy sauce, garlic powder, and sirachi sauce and cook for about 10 – 15 minutes. Liquid should be starting to reduce and chicken should be white all the way through, check your biggest piece.
- Add cranberries and cook an additional 2-5 minutes or until the cranberries start to burst open a bit.
- Serving Size: 2-4