I have a secret. A deep dark secret. I’m in love…and not with my husband. Sorry babe. No I’m in love with this fried mozzarella caprese salad.
I mean really what’s not to love about a classic dish that gets an updated based on melted, fried cheese?
Plus, it’s salad, and salad is healthy by the sheer fact it’s salad right?
Ok, maybe not. I may be spending too much time these days reasoning with a toddler. It’s totally shifted my sense of logic.
But in this case, I like the way my logic has shifted. It works in my favor. Fried mozzarella caprese salad=healthy. Because salad. Instant justification.
So now you can dig into this easy dish guilt free and enjoy it. There’s just so much to love about it. I mean it’s essentially fried mozzarella topped with fresh from the vine tomatoes and a pesto drizzle. The gooey cheese and the sweet tomatoes are perfect. And the pesto drizzle? Yes please! I do believe I have mentioned how much I love pesto one or two times before.
And let’s talk tomatoes for a minute. Summer is prime time for tomatoes. If you don’t like grocery store tomatoes, try going to a farm stand or farmer’s market and buying a tomato there. You could also try your hand at growing your own. A fresh tomato is totally different than a grocery store tomato. They are sweet, juicy, and firm all at the same time. A huge step above the sad tomatoes in the produce section.
Plus, it takes only a quick 10 minutes of prep before you are indulging in melted cheese heaven, making it perfect for a busy weeknight. But it’s pretty enough and different enough to serve for company too.
Even Goose, who is going through a picky phase, ate this. I shouldn’t be surprised. She loves mozzarella sticks. This is just a grown up take on that. I like encouraging grown up tastes. It makes me feel so much better about the mass amounts of goldfish and crayons she eats.
- 8 ounce ball of fresh mozzarella
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup of bread crumbs*
- 1/4 cup of flour**
- 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tomatoes
- tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup of pine nuts or walnuts
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a pan on the stove top.
- While the pan is heating up, lightly beat an egg and mix together the bread crumbs, salt and pepper, and parmesan cheese in a small bowl.
- Add flour to another small bowl.
- Dip mozarella cheese into flour, then dip in egg, and then coat in the bread crumbs. Repeat until all cheese is coated.
- Put all cheese in together. Cook each side for about 2 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients in blender or food processor and mix until blended together.
* I used a gluten free all purpose flour blend.This recipe will work with regular flour as well. ** I used gluten free bread crumbs. Again, this recipe will work with regular bread crumbs as well.