Thai Vegetable Soup
Something happens to me at the end of winter every year. I want to break up with soup. I get so over it. It’s like the first taste of gorgeous spring weather and I’m like bring on the salads and spring flavors. Then inevitably Mother Nature puts me back in my place and turns winter back on. And I’m back to needing soup but not wanting regular winter soups like slow cooker chicken soup. Instead, I want something brighter. Something that gives me hope that some day spring will come. Last year, I made this Mexican chicken soup. This year, say hello to this Thai vegetable soup.
This soup is so bright and almost springy. It’s sort of like the soup version of a tropical vacation with coconut milk and lime. But it’s still warming with ginger, curry, and garlic. It’s exactly what the end of winter needs.
Plus it’s filled with so many vegetables that you can feel good about eating it. It’s got all the good stuff: broccoli, carrots, zucchini, beans, and peas. You could absolutely add other veggies too. Mushrooms would be awesome. Maybe some eggplant. And feel free to leave out any veg you’re not feeling. And if you can’t fathom soup without more protein go ahead and add chicken or shrimp. It’s all good.
It’s also pretty easy to make. You just have to chop the veggies and soften them along with the aromatics in a little coconut oil.
Add in some veggie stock, coconut milk, and lime juice. And just before serving throw in some rice noodles cooked rice noodles. Or if you don’t have rice noodles, use plain rice or even quinoa would be awesome.
Then enjoy a big bowl of bright soup to help get you through til spring comes and decides to stay.
Looking for other spicy soup recipes? Try these:
Looking for other vegetable soup recipes? Try my vegetable soup with quinoa.
Yields 6 servings
vegetarian and vegan friendly Thai vegetable soup
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 small head of broccoli, chopped into florets
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 2 tbs* red curry paste
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs siracha*
- 2 tbs honey or agave if vegan
- 4-6 cloves of garlic, pressed
- 1.5 inches of freshly grated ginger
- juice of 1 lime
- 32 ounces of vegetable stock
- 32 ounces of coconut milk
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 8 ounces of cooked rice noodles
- cilantro and scallions to garnish
- Chop all vegetables as specified.
- When veggies are chopped, heat 2 tbs of coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add veggies, garlic, ginger, curry paste, soy sauce, siracha, and lime juice. Saute together until veggies start to soften or about 10 minutes. Add stock and coconut milk. Pour in frozen veggies. Cook until the frozen veggies and liquid are warmed through. To serve dish into bowls and add cooked rice noodles into each bowl prior to serving. Garnish with cilantro and scallions if desired.
* Adjust amount according to desired heat level. **Use gluten free soy sauce to keep this dish gluten free.