Thai Chicken Salad with Creamy Peanut Dressing
You might notice two things right away:
- This is a Monday post about salad and not coffee;
- This Thai Chicken Salad is loaded with all sorts of yummy things like noodles and peanuts.
MMMMM. And it’s still salad.
It’s a salad loaded with a rainbow of color and all the things. Chicken, crisp cucumbers, sweet peppers, cold noodles, and carrots. And let’s talk about that creamy peanut dressing. Creamy, sweet, and spicy all at the same time. YES.
I do love a good salad. Especially one full of the Thai flavors we love so much in this house.
In case I haven’t mentioned, I’m pretty sure I made the Goose with Thai food. I could barely keep any other meal down, but Thai food always stuck. This is probably why I – and the Goose – enjoy Thai food a lot. A. Lot. In fact, I think I may have mentioned it here and here.
Really, it’s not shocking that the Goose loved this salad. You can always tell when she likes something because:
- It does not end up in our dog’s stomach.
- She eats it very quickly without playing with indefinitely.
And it’s so easy to see why she loved it so much.
The spicy, sweet peanut butter dressing reminds me of dips we can get at our favorite local Thai restaurant. Mixed with coconut and siracha, it’s got that perfect balance of sweet and spicy. And the protein from the chicken and carbs from the noodles make the salad feel more like a meal. Less like a salad.
So if you are feeling like Thai, but don’t want to go out tonight, try this salad. It came together in less than 20 minutes and was a meal worthy of a restaurant.
What’s your favorite Thai food that you’d like to recreate at home?
For the salad
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/2 large cucumber
- 2 cups of shredded carrots, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups of shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup of peanuts
- 1 cup of cooked pasta*
- fresh cilantro, optional
For the dressing
- 1 cup of creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 2–3 tablespoons of siracha
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup of tamari or soy sauce
- the juice of 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon of curry powder
- 1 teaspoon of ginger
- Boil a pot of water and cook pasta according to the directions on the package.
- While the pasta is cooking, chop your veggies and chicken and add them to a large bowl.
- Drain and rinse the pasta in cool water and add to top of salad.
- Garnish with peanuts and fresh cilantro if desired.
- Top with dressing.
For the dressing
- Microwave the peanut butter for 30 seconds to soften it. Whisk together with lime juice, honey, coconut milk, and soy or tamari. Finish with curry and ginger. Serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to 1 week.