Here we are staring down Mother’s Day weekend and strawberry crepes. How did that happen? Wasn’t it just New Years Day and weren’t we just focused on eating healthy?
Even weirder: not only are we staring down Mother’s Day weekend but this is my THIRD Mother’s Day as a mom with a child on this side of the belly. How is that possible? Wasn’t Goose born like 2 days ago? (Insert even more cliches about the passage of time and parenthood here.)
Since I became a Mommy, my husband has made it a tradition to make me a fancy breakfast each year. Not that this is different from most weekend days as he is the chief cooker of breakfast in our house each weekend. He is responsible for coming up with banana bread waffles, gluten free chocolate waffles, and so many other delish breakfasts. However, on Mother’s Day, he puts a very large eggshell somewhere on the plate to make it known that Goose helped. This year, Goose actually does like to “help” in the kitchen so I anticipate more than one eggshell.
Thank goodness. Because I am a hot mess in the morning. Seriously. Even as I write this at 8 am, which is not early by most people’s standards, I’m sitting here slurping my coffee and trying to stay on task.
But really, I’m mostly slurping coffee and waiting for my brain to shake off the cobwebs. Because mornings…
Well back to these crepes. I love a good crepe like my chocolate cheesecake crepes. However, I’ve been craving fresh strawberries lately and I adore fruity crepes like these strawberry crepes. When I mentioned my strawberry hankering to my husband, he suggested strawberry crepes.
I agreed and he whipped these little delights up. And believe me they are super delightful. The crepes are light and sweet with a hint of vanilla. And the strawberry filling? Just stop it. Seriously. My husband doesn’t even like fruit filling but he ate these happily. The strawberry filling was the perfect mix of juicy, sweet, and just a little tart. Mmmmmm. The perfect special brunch for Mother’s Day.Print
For the crepes
- 1 cup flour*
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tbs vanilla
- 2 tbs melted butter
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup of water
- 2 eggs
- pinch of salt
For the Filling
- 1 pint of strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 1/2 tbs vanilla
- 1/4 light corn syrup
- In a blender combine all the ingredients for the crepes. Pulse until smooth. Refrigerate for an hour until the bubbles subside.
- Meanwhile, cut the strawberries into slices, removing the hulls. Put them in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and corn syrup. Stir to combine. Heat until the strawberries break down, stirring occasionally.
- Heat a small pan over medium-high heat and brush with oil. Pour 1/4 cup of crepe batter into pan, tilting the pan to coat it fully. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, turning once, until golden. Repeat with remaining batter.
- To assemble, take a crepe and place 2 to 3 tablespoons of filling in the center. Fold the edges in. Dust with powdered sugar. Serve hot.
*we used gluten free all purpose flour
- Category: breakfast, brunch
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 6-8 crepes