Jalapeno popper dip is a the dunkable version of the classic bar appetizer. Perfect for game day and entertaining, this dip is the zesty cousin of queso and just as quick and easy to make. Run- don’t walk- to the kitchen to throw this zesty, drool worthy appetizer together. The star of any Super Bowl party!
Post may contain affiliate links. As a member of the Amazon affiliate program, I may earn a small commision from qualifying purchases. To read my affiliate policy, click here.
My philosophy on food is if it’s cheesy and spicy, I love it.
Hands down love it.
And during all of my pregnancies that went times a million.
The cheesier and spicier- the better. I apparently liked to eat dangerously- pregnancy heartburn be damned.
If there was one recipe we made this past pregnancy that was worth all the heartburn, it was definitely this jalapeno popper dip.
It has all the flavors of the classic bar appetizer but in a much easier, cheesier preparation.
You can have this amazing dip ready to go from start to finish in about 10 minutes so it’s perfect for easy appetizers or even an easy, lazy dip for dinner kind of meal.
If that’s how you roll of course. (I totally do.)
Ingredients and Kitchen Supplies
To make this you’ll need:
- Jalapenos– There’s really no substitute for jalapenos in jalapeno popper dip.
- Garlic– Fresh garlic is better here than garlic powder. Press it.
- Half and half– Use the full fat kind. The nonfat kind will be too runny and it may separate.
- Cream cheese– Again use full fat. Not into the tang from cream cheese? Substitute out mascarpone cheese instead.
- Cheddar cheese– Full fat. Notice a theme here? This dip is not the time to be worried about fat and calories. Just enjoy:-)
You’ll also need some basic cooking supplies including:
- An oven safe skillet– I love cast iron for this!
- Knife and cutting board
- Garlic press
How to make Jalapeno Popper Dip
Saute the jalapenos and garlic.
Melt the butter over low to medium low heat. When the butter is melted, briefly saute the jalapenos and garlic until they are just fragrant.
Stir in the half and half.
When the garlic and pepper is just becoming fragrant, take the pan off the heat. Stir in half and half.
Melt in the cheese.
Once the half and half and garlic and peppers are combined, returned to the heat and start melting in the cheddar and mascarpone cheese.
Top with remaining cheddar cheese and broil for 1 minute or until the cheese melts. Serve and enjoy!
What to Serve with Jalapeno Popper Dip
You could serve any dippers you like with this. I find it pairs well with:
- Homemade Tortilla Chips
- Cut veggies especially cucumbers, carrots, and celery sticks
- Pita chips
- Potato chips
What would you dip into this?
Storing Leftover Dip
I don’t recommend making this dip in advance, but you can refrigerate any leftovers for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
Do be aware that the dip may separate in the fridge.
How can I make jalapeno popper dip less spicy?
There are a few ways to make this less spicy.
First, make sure you remove the seeds and the white ribs from the peppers before you chop them. The seeds and ribs contain all the heat.
You could also add less garlic, which has a little bit of a bite to it, and reduce the amount of jalapeno you add.
Can you reheat jalapeno popper dip?
Yes. Pop it in a warm oven until it’s heated through.
Is jalapeno popper dip keto friendly?
As written, this recipe was not designed to be keto, but if you substitute the half and half with heavy cream and serve this with low carb dippers, you should be able to fit this into your macros.
Tips and Tricks
- As written this jalapeno dip recipe is vegetarian, but it would be amazing with bacon. To add bacon to the jalapeno dip, dice up 2 or 3 slices of bacon and saute it until crisp. Then, saute the jalapeno and garlic in the bacon grease instead of butter before making the recipe as normal.
- Thin the dip out with a bit more half and half and stir in cooked macaroni noodles for the cheddar jalapeno mac and cheese.
- Want it extra hot and spicy? Add an extra pepper and a dash of Frank’s.
Other Dip Recipes
Dips are my jam! If you are looking for other versions to serve for game day or a holiday party, try these:
- Caramelized Onion Cheese Dip
- Basic Beer Cheese
- Beer Cheese Queso
- Buffalo Cauliflower Dip
- Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Baked Crab Dip
- Chipotle Pumpkin Cheese Dip
Jalapeno Popper Dip
Jalapeno popper dip is a the dunkable version of the classic bar appetizer. Perfect for game day and entertaining, this dip is the zesty cousin of queso and just as quick and easy to make. Run- don't walk- to the kitchen to throw this zesty, drool worthy appetizer together. The star of any Super Bowl party!
- 2 jalapenos- seeded and diced
- 2 cloves of garlic- pressed
- 3 tbs butter
- 1 c half and half
- 8 ounces of mascarpone or cream cheese
- 2 cups cheddar plus 1/4 c for topping
- Melt the butter over low to medium low heat. When the butter is melted, briefly saute the jalapenos and garlic until just fragrant. No more than 2 minutes.
- When the garlic and pepper is just becoming fragrant, take the pan off the heat. Stir in half and half. Once the half and half and garlic and peppers are combined, returned to the heat and start melting in the cheddar and mascarpone cheese. Top with remaining cheddar cheese and broil for 1 minute or until the cheese melts. Serve and enjoy!
see post for notes
Basic Beer Cheese - Seasoned Sprinkles
Tuesday 25th of January 2022
[…] Easy Jalapeno Popper Dip (with Cream Cheese) […]