Instant Pot mac and cheese creates the creamiest, dreamiest pasta ever – right in your pressure cooker. This classic mac and cheese recipe will become a family favorite that you’ll make over and over again. Perfect for dinner or a side dish.
This post may contain affiliate links. To read my affiliate policy click here.
Mac and cheese is one of the most perfect foods I can imagine. Noodles. Cheese. It’s the ultimate in comfort food. What’s not to love? Plus, it’s one of the few foods my extremely picky daughter will eat. Sometimes. If the stars align and Mercury is in retrograde.
Kidding! This is one thing she will eat and it makes me feel like I am not failing as a mom because I am imparting on her an all important deep seated love of cheese and carbs. My job here is done.
The Best Macaroni and Cheese Ever!
In all seriousness though, this is the best basic macaroni and cheese recipe I have ever made. It’s so good! This mac and cheese is loaded with a blend of cheeses, full of flavor that doesn’t overpower the delicious cheesiness. It’s not spicy, but rich and flavorful. Trust me when I say you won’t be able to stop making it!
Mac and Cheese Ingredients
To make this Instant Pot mac and cheese recipe you need some pretty basic ingredients. To make this macaroni and cheese you need:
- Elbow macaroni. You can use another small noodle like rotini or orichette but don’t use anything bigger than that.
- Vegetable broth. If you want, you could use chicken broth but definitely use broth over water for the extra level of background flavor.
- Butter. Butter provides the extra richness.
- Spices. This recipe uses a blend of spices that includes smoked paprika, mustard powder, and garlic.
- Hot sauce. Totally optional of course, but I highly recommend it. It doesn’t add heat but another level of flavor.
- Shredded cheddar cheese. What is mac and cheese without cheddar cheese?
- Shredded Italian cheese blend. The Italian blend I like in this recipe has a blend of mozzarella for maximum meltiness and Parmesan for a little sharp saltiness.
- Milk or half and half. Half and half will provide a richer sauce.
How to Make Mac and Cheese in the Instant Pot
This Instant Pot macaroni and cheese is so easy to make! It’s the perfect recipe for Instant Pot beginners and one of the first recipes I mastered when I got my Instant Pot. This recipe is pretty much a dump and go recipe.
To make it:
- Add the noodles, vegetable broth, butter, spices, and hot sauce to the inner liner of the Instant Pot.
- Put the lid on the pot and make sure the the valve is set to sealing.
- Set the pot to Manual for 6 minutes.
- When the pot beeps, do a quick release.
- After the pot is done releasing, remove the lid and stir in the cheese and milk, a little a time. Alternate as you go.
Pretty easy! Dinner is ready in under 30 minutes.
This macaroni and cheese makes 6 good sized dinner servings. I always get two nights of dinner and sometimes a lunch out of one batch for my family of 4. I like to keep the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. They last about 3 days and reheat well in the microwave.
What to Serve with Mac and Cheese?
This Instant Pot macaroni and cheese would also be a fantastic vegetarian recipe to make during the holidays. Then you could serve it as one of your sides to a garlic herb turkey breast along with this twice baked potato casserole and classic stuffing.
Other Mac and Cheese Recipes
This Instant Pot mac and cheese is definitely one of my favorite ways to make a classic homemade macaroni and cheese. If you are looking for some variations on macaroni and cheese these are some of my favorites:
- Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese with Pancetta and Peas for a perfect fall pasta dish
- Beer Mac and Cheese for a skillet macaroni and cheese with an absolutely luscious beer cheese sauce
Made this macaroni and cheese recipe or one of my other recipes? Leave me a comment below or tag me on Instagram @seasonedsprinkles. I love seeing you make my recipes!Print
Instant Pot mac and cheese creates the creamiest, dreamiest macaroni and cheese ever – right in your pressure cooker. This classic mac and cheese recipe will become a family favorite that you’ll make over and over again. Perfect for dinner or a side dish.
- 16 ounces of uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3 cups veggie broth
- 3 tbs butter
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups of shredded italian cheese blend
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup of milk
Add the noodles, vegetable broth, butter, spices, and hot sauce to the inner liner of the Instant Pot. Put the lid on the pot and make sure the the valve is set to sealing. Set the pot to Manual for 6 minutes. When the pot beeps, do a quick release. After the pot is done releasing, remove the lid and give the noodles a good stir. Then stir in the cheese and milk, a little a time. Alternate as you go. Stir as you go so the cheese melts and incorporates well with the milk or half and half. Serve!
The noodles may look kind of pressed down when you first open the pot. They will fluff up as you stir them and taste delicious.
Omit the hot sauce if desired.
Add a pinch of salt and pepper at the end to your taste.
- Category: Dinner, side, vegetarian
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: macaroni and cheese, mac and cheese, Instant Pot mac and cheese