This honey mustard chicken and green bean skillet is an easy one skillet chicken dinner even the picky eaters will enjoy. Perfect for a quick weeknight dinner, this honey mustard chicken skillet comes together in about 30 minutes.
Just like I’ve been having a moment with all things buffalo cauliflower, I am also having a moment with honey mustard chicken. We eat a ton of honey mustard chicken in our house, but often have it with this honey mustard chicken chopped salad. We also love the flavor of honey mustard chicken in these honey mustard chicken salad sandwiches.
I love that salad, but sometimes I want something more than a salad. Plus, a salad isn’t the most family friendly meal. While my 4 year old will eat the honey mustard chicken and some of the greens, she won’t eat much else, and that’s not good when you’re a hungry, growing kid.
So I took the same chicken in that salad and turned it into a skillet meal, perfect for summer eating by throwing some of my favorite summer veggies into a big cast iron skillet. You could use any veggies you want, but I really like green beans in this. They are tender but have a nice crunch. And at the end I threw in a handful of halved cherry tomatoes for added sweetness.
You could serve this as is, or you could serve it up with rice, quinoa, or your other favorite grain. This would also be really yummy with roast potatoes or even mashed potatoes if you’d rather. The homemade honey mustard marinade turns into a delicious subtly sweet and savory sauce. With a hint of rosemary and garlic in the marinade, it just begs you to eat every last spoonful of it.
How to Make the Honey Mustard Chicken Skillet
Making this dinner is really quick and easy. Just use a large bowl to whisk together all the ingredients for the marinade. Then get the chicken breast tenders marinading. You don’t have to marinade the chicken for long, though a longer time will result in really tender extra flavorful chicken. However, if you’re short on time, the marinade is flavorful enough to infuse serious goodness into the chicken.
While the chicken marinades, heat up some olive oil in a very large cast iron skillet. When the skillet is hot, throw in the green beans. Season them with salt, pepper and a squeeze of lemon and let them cook for a few minutes. Then, I throw the chicken in and sear it on both sides before I pop the whole cast iron skillet into a 350 degree oven. About 2 minutes before the chicken and green beans are done, I add a handful of halved cherry tomatoes. They will just start to cook but not burst so they get sweet without getting too soft.
And that’s really all there is to it. Easy. Simple. Delicious.
Looking for other one skillet chicken recipes? Try these:
- Parmesan Balsamic Chicken and Brussel Sprouts Skillet
- Lemon Chicken and Asparagus Skillet
- Balsamic Pomegranate Chicken Skillet
Perfect for a quick weeknight dinner, this honey mustard chicken skillet comes together in about 30 minutes.
For the dressing/marinade
- 1/2 c dijon mustard
- 4 tbs honey
- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1.5 tbs olive oil
For the chicken
- 1 pound of chicken tenders
- the prepared marinade
- 5 cloves of garlic, pressed
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp of rosemary
- 1 tbs olive oil
For the veggies:
- 16 ounces green beans, ends trimmed off, and cut in half
- 1 cup of halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- tbs lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl, set aside.
- Put the chicken in a bowl. Toss with salt, pepper, rosemary, crushed garlic, lemon juice and the marinade. Let it marinade for 20-30 minutes but you can cook sooner if you are short on time.
- After the chicken has marinaded, heat a tbs olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the green beans to a large cast iron skillet. Season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Push to the sides of the skillet.
- Add the chicken and the marinade and cook for about 2 minutes. Flip and cook for 2 minutes on the other side. Cover and bake in a 350 degree oven for 18 minutes
- After 18 minutes, uncover and add the halved cherry tomatoes. Bake for 2 more minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove from oven and let rest at room temperature for a few minutes prior to serving. Enjoy!
pairs well with rice or potatoes
- Category: dinner
- Method: roasting
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: honey mustard chicken, honey mustard chicken and green bean skillet, honey mustard chicken skillet, chicken skillet