An easy cranberry chicken and rice skillet is a one dish cranberry chicken recipe perfect for the holiday season. This easy, healthy casserole is full of seasonal flavors and produce. It’s a winner for entertaining or enjoying as a way to take advantage of the festive flavors anytime!
Post may contain affiliate links. As a member of the Amazon affiliate program, I may earn a small commision from qualifying purchases. To read my affiliate policy, click here.
As soon as we get passed Halloween, it is game on in my house for festive holiday fare.
I’m not talking about days and days of gingerbread donuts, but hey if that’s how you roll more power to you!
No I’m talking about enjoying all those seasonal flavors in a way that makes me feel cozy and good.
Like this cranberry chicken skillet.
It’s a lighter take on the seasonal flavors and so delicious!
What is a cranberry chicken and rice skillet?
My cranberry chicken and rice skillet casserole is a healthy take on a chicken and rice bake.
It’s a one skillet meal that gets baked to perfection in the oven.
And unlike some heavier casseroles it has tons of good for you ingredients like Brussels sprouts, cranberries, apples, and brown rice.
It doesn’t have tons of added sugar, fat or sodium but is delicious with a tangy sweet flavor you’ll love!
Ingredients and Kitchen Supplies
- Chicken breasts– Trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- Marinade ingredients– Olive oil, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, honey, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper, pressed garlic
- Brussels sprouts– Trimmed and halved
- Granny smith apple– Diced
- Rice– Instant brown rice not regular rice
- Cooking liquid– Water, chicken stock, or even white wine
- Cranberries– Fresh cranberries
You’ll also need a few kitchen supplies and tools including:
How to Make
1. Make the marinade.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, half of the olive oil, the spices, honey, and garlic. Put the prepared chicken into the bowl, tossing so the marinade coats it.
Cover and refrigerate the bowl for 30 minutes.
2. Toss the rest of the ingredients with the marinaded chicken.
After the chicken has marinaded for 30 minutes, toss the halved brussels sprouts, cranberries, and diced apple with the chicken.
3. Assemble the skillet casserole.
Put the remaining olive oil on the bottom of the skillet, coating it. Then add the rice and cooking liquid to the skillet.
Then pour the chicken mixture over the rice.
Cover the skillet with foil.
4. Bake and enjoy!
Bake at 375 for 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, let it set for 5 minutes, and enjoy!
What does cranberry chicken casserole taste like?
This dish is tart, tangy, and a touch sweet. It does not taste like the cranberry sauce you serve on Thanksgiving but has more of a cranberry viniagrette flavor with bursts of juicy berries throughout the dish.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Can I substitute frozen cranberries in this cranberry chicken?
I have not done it, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. However, I do recommend uncovering the skillet at the end of the cook time to let the extra liquid cook off.
What about dried cranberries? Can I use those instead?
While dried cranberries make excellent additions to granola and baked goods, they won’t work in this recipe!
Tips and Tricks
- While you don’t have to serve it with fresh herbs, I highly recommend some fresh parsley for a little brightness.
- Sounds weird, but sprinkling on a little Parmesan cheese before serving is *chef’s kiss* perfection.
- Make sure all the chicken pieces are cut the same size. Same thing goes for the Brussels sprouts and apples.
- If the dish is a little liquid at the end of cooking, uncover it and pop it in the oven for another 5 minutes or so.
Other Cranberry Recipes
- Cranberry Orange Chicken
- Cranberry Apple Baked Oatmeal
- Easy Pomegranate Cranberry Smoothies
- Instant Pot Cranberry Sauce
- Cranberry Orange Baked Pancake
- Cranberry Almond Granola
- Christmas Cranberry Champagne Cocktails
- Gluten Free Cranberry Apple Crumble
- Cranberry Barbecue Ribs
- Holiday Goat Cheese Flatbread with Honey Balsamic Cranberries and Pomegranate
Other Seasonal Chicken Skillet Meals
- Balsamic Pomegranate Chicken Skillet
- Parmesan Balsamic Chicken and Brussel Sprouts Skillet
- Autumn Chicken Skillet
- Lemon Chicken and Asparagus Skillet
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of dijon mustard
- 1.5 tablespoons of honey
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon of thyme
- 1 teaspoon of rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cloves of garlic pressed
- 2 chicken breasts trimmed and cut into 1" pieces
- 10 ounces of Brussels sprouts trimmed and halved
- 1 Granny Smith apple, diced
- 2 cups of fresh cranberries
- 1 cup of instant brown rice
- 1.5 cups of liquid- either chicken broth or stock, white wine, or water
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, half of the olive oil, the spices, honey, and garlic.
- Put the prepared chicken into the bowl, tossing so the marinade coats it.
- Cover and refrigerate the bowl for 30 minutes.
- After the chicken has marinaded for 30 minutes, toss the halved brussels sprouts, cranberries, and diced apple with the chicken. Set it aside.
- Put the remaining olive oil on the bottom of the skillet, coating it. Then add the rice and cooking liquid to the skillet.
- Then pour the chicken mixture over the rice. Cover the skillet with foil.
- Bake at 375 for 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, let it set for 5 minutes, and enjoy!
see post for notes
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 436Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 566mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 6gSugar: 15gProtein: 24g