Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken Soup
Is it just me or was this winter really weird?
Like really, really weird. I’ve worn flip flops and lamented the fact that I haven’t had my toenails done since my best friend got married last July. Because seriously, I live in the Northeast. My feet should be firmly buried in my boots until the end of this month, hiding my poor, neglected toes. But instead, it’s been 70 degrees and there are flowers blooming and I have been showing my scary toes.
Of course, because I live in the Northeast, the 70 degree weather is broken up by days in the 30s and 40s. Nothing crazy cold, but still that kind of weather is comfort food weather. It begs for soup. But because it’s been warm, I don’t want to make the heavier soup like my Tuscan white bean soup. No, I want fresh flavors that remind me of summer.
So, say hello to this slow cooker Mexican chicken soup. It’s still comforting, but it’s light enough to feel like summer. It’s got classic chicken soup flavor the way my homemade slow cooker chicken soup does. Plus, it has black beans, corn, and some heat from jalapenos and Adobo peppers. Plus the fresh notes of lime and cilantro have me feeling like I’m taking my very own personal trip to a Mexican beach.
Not that I would really know given that I’ve never been to a Mexican beach, but let’s pretend for a minute. I see white sand, bright blue ocean, and I’m drinking a margarita while the breeze blows through the palm trees. Sounds, good right?
Yeah, I got all of this from lime and cilantro in this slow cooker Mexican chicken soup. I guess you could say I have an active imagination. It’s easy to see where my kid gets hers from. I should remind myself that the next time she pretends to use a shoe as the telephone to call that friend that got married last July.
Serves 6-8 servings
Easy Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken Soup
10 minPrep Time
6 hrCook Time
6 hr, 10 Total Time
- 3 chicken breasts
- 2 15 ounce cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups of frozen corn
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 6 ounce can of tomato paste
- the juice of 2 limes
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 tbs cumin
- 1-2 tbs chili powder*
- 4 cloves of garlic pressed
- 2 chili peppers in adobo sauce
- 64 ounces of chicken stock or enough to fully cover the chicken and veggies
- salt and pepper to taste
- Additional lime wedges
- Corn tortillas, cut into strips
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Dice the veggies that need to be diced and add half of them along with half of the beans and corn to the bottom of your slow cooker. Place the chicken on top of the bed of vegetables. Season with spices and garlic cloves. Layer on the additional vegetables. Pour on the chicken stock. Cook on low for 5-6 hours or until you can shred the chicken. Shred the chicken and stir in the lime juice and tomato paste, cook for an additional half hour. Serve hot garnishing with cilantro, jalapenos, tortilla strips, and lime wedges.
Adjust the amount of chili powder to suit your spice level. If you aren't a fan of spicy food, reduce it.