Delicious, savory pumpkin macaroni and cheese with pancetta and peas is the perfect main dish or would be a fabulous jazzed up side dish to serve on Thanksgivng.
- 12 ounce package of elbow macaroni
- 4 ounces of diced pancetta
- 1 15 ounce can of pumpkin
- 2 1/2 cups of half and half, milk, or cream
- 3 cups of cheese*
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp of smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp of sage
- 1/2 tsp of chili powder
- 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
For crumb topping
- 1/2 cup of bread crumbs*
- 2 tbs melted butter
- between 1/4 and 1/2 cup of additional cheese
- scallions or chives to garnish
- Cook pasta according to directions on package. Drain and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, heat a 12″ cast iron skillet over medium heat. Cook the pancetta until it is crispy. Discard some of the grease if you choose. Reduce heat to medium low. Add the pasta to the pan with the pancetta. Press 4 cloves of garlic in the pan. Stir in pumpkin puree, peas, milk, cheese and spices. Continue stirring until the cheese is melted and the sauce is combined thoroughly. Spread out in pan evenly. Sprinkle bread crumbs and additional cheese evenly over the top of the pasta. Drizzle on melted butter. Pop into broiler and broiler for about two minutes or until cheese topping is melted. Serve immediately and garnish with scallions or chives if desired. Enjoy!
*We used gluten free macaroni and bread crumbs
- Category: pasta, dinner, side dish
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 4-6 servings