Italian Salad Flatbread
For like two seconds when I was pregnant with my daughter, I craved salad with Italian dressing and garlicky bread. It had to be a salad with crunchy lettuce, salty olives, and spicy peperoncinis. And it had to be creamy Italian dressing. Like had to be or else.
Looking back, I see the reason I craved Italian salad was probably because of the spicy peppers. I craved ALL THE SPICY things when I was pregnant. Thai curry for breakfast, buffalo chicken. If it made me sweat and breathe fire, I wanted it. No, I NEEDED it. Heartburn be damned.
These Mezzetta Peperoncinis are the perfect peppers for this salad. They have a nice kick without being overpowering and a salty briny bite that goes so perfectly with the creamy Italian salad dressing. Not preggo me is pleased. Pregnant me would have been absolutely delighted. And my husband? Well, he loves Mezzetta Peperoncinis so much that he snacks on them straight out of the jar. Needless to say, they make this salad flatbread a huge hit. To find out more about Mezzetta Peperoncinis and enter their Brighten Every Bite giveaway for 52 weeks of meals from Chef’d and get a 10 percent off coupon, check them out here.
Not preggo me is even happier because this flatbread is easy peasy to make. You can go the totally homemade route with this and use a homemade pizza dough recipe like the one from my white pizza with arugula and sundried tomatoes and a homemade salad dressing like I did. Or you can shortcut the heck out of it. You could buy a premade frozen dough or even some naan bread and just coat it in evoo and sprinkle on some garlic and Parm. You could also sub your favorite creamy Italian dressing. Personally though, I always think homemade dressing is worth it.
Either way you go, you just need to toss together some romaine lettuce, precut olives, carrots, and of course peperoncinis. Then spread the salad out on the warm flatbread crust and boom. Dinner is done. And you can eat it feeling so virtuous because it’s salad. But you’ll still feel happy because the flatbread makes it feel like pizza. And eating pizza is pretty much winning at life, right?
Yields 4 servings
Serves 4 servings
Italian Salad Flatbread combines Italian salad with pizza and garlic bread for a delicious dinner or appetizer
10 minPrep Time
12 minCook Time
22 minTotal Time
- premade pizza dough or 1 batch of homemade dough
- 1 1/2 tbs olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 tbs Parmesan cheese
- 1 head of romaine hearts, chopped
- small can of black olives, drained
- 12 Mezzetta Peperoncinis, stems removed and halved
- 1 cup of shredded carrots, roughly chopped
- 1/2 c of olive oil
- 1/4 c sweet white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbs mayonnaise
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 heaping tbs Italian seasoning
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Roll the dough out flat onto a large cookie sheet. The dough should be very thin, about a half an inch thick. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and brush with olive oil. Turn on broiler and broil for 90 seconds to crisp the dough up. Top with crushed garlic and Parmesan cheese.
- When the dough is done, toss together the chopped romaine hearts, shredded carrots, olives, and Mezzetta Peperoncinis. Set aside while the dressing is made.
- In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for the dressing and whisk together until combined. Pour over the salad and toss together.
- Top the flatbread with the salad and enjoy.