How to caramelize onions for delicious onions to use in French onion soup or almost any savory dish. A basic caramelized onion recipe.
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter
- 3 pounds of sweet or yellow onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup of white wine or sherry*
- 6 cloves of garlic, pressed (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried sage (optional)
- 1 tsp of dried thyme (optional)
Thinly slice the onions. Add the butter to a cast iron skillet. Melt the butter over medium low to medium heat. Pour the onions in. Add the white wine or sherry, garlic, salt, pepper and spice. Cook over medium heat stirring every few minutes for the first half hour. During the next half hour, stir very frequently, almost constantly, until the onions are soft and deep golden with no white left. This will take about another half an hour.
You can substitute beer, chicken broth, or beef broth for wine or sherry.
Omit the seasonings if desired.
- Category: side dish, kitchen basics
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: how to caramelize onions, French onion recipe. how to make French onions, caramelized onions recipe