Ham and cheese frittata is an Italian version of a crustless quiche. This easy breakfast or brunch main dish feeds a crowd and is perfect for a holiday brunch gathering or any weekend morning!
Post may contain affiliate links. To read my affiliate policy, click here.
Mornings in our house are a bit of a struggle.
Not a single one of us is a morning person.
So there’s almost no way you’ll find us making something complicated in the morning.
Not even for a special occasion like Easter or Christmas.
But this ham and cheese frittata is so simple to make that we can effortlessly get it into the oven and have a special feeling breakfast on the table without breaking a sweat.
What is a frittata?
A frittata is basically a baked Italian omlette. So essentially, this is a crustless ham and cheese quiche. It makes the perfect breakfast for people that don’t want to mess around with a pie crust first thing in the morning or anyone looking for a low carb alternative to a quiche.
Ingredients and Kitchen Tools
To make this you’ll need:
- Eggs– Go for large eggs here. Don’t use egg substitute.
- Heavy cream– You could sub half and half in a pinch, but I wouldn’t use a lower fat dairy product. The heavy cream adds richness and makes the dish super silky. You won’t get that with lower fat milk.
- Ham– This is a great way to use leftover ham from dinner. We used leftover ham with a honey glaze. Of course if you don’t have any ham leftovers, you could always chop up some deli ham.
- Cheese– We used shredded cheddar for this, but swiss or gruyere would also be lovely in it.
- Aromatics– A small onion chopped and a clove or two of pressed garlic provide a ton of flavor.
- Salt and Pepper– Just to taste.
- Olive oil– Use enough to cover the bottom of a cast iron skillet with a thin layer of oil.
You’ll also need the following kitchen tools:
How to Make
- Chop the ham and onion.
Dice the onion and chop the ham into roughly equal sized cubes. Remove any fatty piece of ham and discard.
- Whisk everything together.
Once you’ve chopped the ham and the onion, set it aside. Crack the eggs into the mixing bowl and whisk in the cream, salt and pepper and pressed garlic. Once that’s all combined, fold in the chopped ham and shredded cheese.
Pour enough olive oil into the bottom of your 8″ cast iron skillet to coat the bottom of the skillet. Then, pour the egg mixture into the skillet. Bake it at 350 for 3o minutes. The eggs should be set. Remove from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes prior to cutting and serving. Enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
- If you want to make this prep super easy for yourself, chop the onion and the ham the night before you make it and store it covered in the fridge. Then just pull it out when you are ready to assemble the frittata.
- Don’t have leftover ham to use? Chopping deli ham is fine.
- Adjust the amount of garlic to suit your taste.
- Feel free to use whatever cheese you like.
Serving and Storing
This is a meal in and of itself. However, if you want to fill it out more, you could serve this with breakfast potatoes or hashbrowns. For a lighter side, some fresh fruit works well. If you want to have this for brunch or dinner, it pair well with asparagus or a side salad.
To store leftovers, let the fritatta cool and cover it tightly. Refrigerate for up to 3 days and reheat in the oven until warmed through.
Other Breakfast Recipes
Looking for other yummy breakfast ideas? Try these:
- Cheesy asparagus frittata– A vegetarian alternative to this ham and cheese frittata
- Easy French Toast Casserole
- Baked Blueberry Pancake
- The Best Fluffy Waffle Recipe
Did you make these HAM AND CHEESE CRUSTLESS QUICHEor any other recipe on my site? Leave me a comment below and let me know how you liked it. And make sure you follow along with me on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram to see everything we’ve got going on.
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 c heavy cream
- 2 cups of chopped ham
- 1 cup of shredded cheese
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 clove of garlic pressed
- salt and pepper to taste
- enough oil to cover the bottom of an 8" cast iron skillet.
Chop the ham into roughly equal sized cubes and dice the onion. Remove any fatty piece of ham and discard. Set aside.
Whisk everything together. Crack the eggs into the mixing bowl and whisk in the cream, salt and pepper and pressed garlic. Then, fold in the chopped ham and shredded cheese.
Bake. Pour enough olive oil into the bottom of your 8" cast iron skillet to lightly coat the bottom of the skillet. Then, pour the egg mixture into the skillet. Bake it at 350 for 30 minutes. The eggs should be set. Remove from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes prior to cutting and serving. Enjoy!
see post for notes