Gluten Free Cranberry Apple Crumble
You know how there are those people that dread the holiday season? The people that can’t stand the Christmas creep?
I’m definitely not one of those people. I know it’s only October right now but I have the holiday season on my mind. Yes, I know I still have Halloween and then a few weeks in November before it’s officially here. But as far as I’m concerned, the minute the calendar flips to September it’s game on for the holidays.
Or you know…well before then. Like April. And I definitely celebrate Christmas in July because any excuse to eat easy frozen pumpkin mousse pie or frozen hot chocolate floats is a good one. I may just love the holiday season a little too much. My 2 year old may be able to sing Jingle Bells and repeatedly ask to read the Polar Express.
I can’t help myself. This time of year is just so cheerful. And it’s full of such amazing food.
Like this gluten free cranberry apple crumble. This yummy treat makes its way onto my table each Thanksgiving and Christmas. It’s such a crowd pleaser. My family begs for it each year. There’s my sister, who very well may be the world’s pickiest adult eater. She devours it. My aunt, who can’t cook, has learned how to make this. She said this dish really impressed her friends, and not just because she actually cooked. They all thought it was delicious.
Because it really is. The apples get caramelized. Their buttery sweetness perfectly compliments the tartness from the cranberries. And the topping? Crushed Cinnamon Chex, brown sugar, and butter. Absolutely delicious perfection.
Plus, it’s impossible to screw up. Just slice it, toss with sugar and spices, then top it with crunchy goodness and enjoy the amazing smell as it bakes in the oven. Enjoy it as a side dish (don’t you love how this would totally qualify as a vegetable on Thanksgiving?) or top with ice cream for a festive dessert.
Looking for other apple recipes? Try these:
Yields 8 cups
10 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 6 large apples*
- 1 cup of cranberries
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar
- 2 tbs cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ginger
- 2 cups of Cinnamon Chex
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 tbs of unsalted butter, cut into very thin slices
- Preheat the oven to 350 and spray a 11x7 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Core apples and chop into bite sized pieces. Put into a large bowl and add the cranberries, spices, and sugar. Toss to coat the fruit. Pour into the baking dish.
- Add 2 cups of Chex cereal into a quart sized zipper bag. Crush the cereal into crumbs. Add in sugar and extra cinnamon. Shake the bag to evenly distribute.
- Pour the topping on top of the fruit and spread it into an even layer. Top this layer with thin slices of butter,
- Bake covered at 350 for 40-45 minutes until the topping browns and bubbles.
- Enjoy as a side dish or top with ice cream and caramel for a festive dessert.
I prefer to use a mix of green apples- Granny Smith and Golden Delicious work particularly well in this recipe. Peeling the apples is optional, but I normally skip that step.