Caramelized onion cheese dip is a sure hit for entertaining with its luscious caramelized onions and creamy marscapone cheese
- 1.5 pounds (about 6 cups) of sweet onions, sliced
- 4 tbs butter
- 6 cloves of garlic, pressed
- 1/4 cup of white wine
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp red pepper
- 1/2 tsp sage
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 16 ounces of marscapone cheese
- 8 ounces of shredded Italian cheese blend, divided
- Melt the butter in a medium cast iron pan over medium low heat. Add the sliced onion, salt, pepper, pressed garlic, sugar, and herbs. Cook over medium low heat, stirring consistently until the onion soften and begin to turn golden brown. Add wine in gradually, as liquid evaporates, add a little more. By the time the onions are beautifully golden (about 20 minutes) the full quarter cup should be added with a little liquid remaining in the pain.
- When onions are golden, add them to a bowl with 16 ounces of marscapone cheese and half of the shredded Italian cheese blend. Stir until thoroughly combined. Spoon back into a serving dish or cast iron pan. Top with additional cheese. Either serve room temperature or pop under the broiler for about 90 seconds to melt the top of the cheese. Serve with bread. Enjoy.
*Dip is pictured broiled but is delicious with room temperature marscapone cheese as well. Just leave the marscapone cheese on the counter for about an hour prior to stirring in the onions and Italian cheese.
- Category: appetizer, dip
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 6 servings