Box cake mix is hacked with a simple ingredient swap and the addition of one ingredient to create a show stopping honey vanilla cake with homemade buttercream perfect for any occasion
For the cake
- 1 package of vanilla cake mix*
- 1 cup of Coffee-mate® natural bliss® Honey Cream
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
For the frosting**
- 3 cups of powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) softened, but not melted butter
- 2–3 tbs of Coffee-mate® natural bliss® Honey Cream
- 1 tbs Honey
- Raspberries for garnish***
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 round 8×8 or 9×9 by cake pans on the sides and bottom thoroughly with butter or oil. Set aside.
- Mix cake mix, cream, vanilla and eggs in a large bowl with a hand mixer on medium until combined.
- Pour cake mix into the two prepared cake pans and bake for 26-30 minutes or until a toothpick in the center of each cake comes out clean. Cool for at least 10 minutes before removing from cake pan and let cool completely prior to frosting.
- While cake is cooling, in a large bowl with a hand mixer, cream together butter, powdered sugar, and honey. Add in creamer one tablespoon at a time. You may only need 2 tablespoons, but you may need more depending on the humidity, etc. If you go past 4 tbs, the icing will be more of a glaze than an icing. When ingredients are thoroughly combined and peaks form, icing is done. Spread on cake.
To assemble cake
- Frost one layer of cake. Stack the second layer on top of the first. Frost the top layer of cake. I just spread the frosting with a frosting spatula but feel free to get fancy and pipe if you desire. Finish the cake with a smattering of berries for garnish.
*The cake mix box will tell you how much water is needed. Simply sub the same amount of cream for water to make this cake. Water needs may vary based on brand of cake mix.
**If you don’t want to make a naked cake like I did, double the frosting recipe.
***Raspberries optional, but any berry would be lovely on top.
- Category: dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 8