Air fryer sweet potato fries are an an easy and delicious side dish that you can turn into a meal. This method gives you a healthy alternative to the deep fried side and allows you to add other seasoning variations as you see fit.
Post may contain affiliate links. To read my affiliate policy, click here.
I have a serious thing with French fries.
You may call it an addiction.
I choose to call it a deep seated love.
If there are fries in the vicinity, I will find them and I will eat them.
As much as I love standard fries, I’m not a huge fan of how unhealthy they are.
Most fries lack any kind of nutritional substance and get deep fried.
I prefer to health them up a bit by substituting better for you sweet potatoes and baking them or air frying them instead of deep frying them.
These changes don’t mean less delicious fries. Oh no, these air fryer sweet potato fries are lightly crispy on the outside, soft on the inside and deeply delicious.
Ingredients and Kitchen Tools
To make these, you only need a couple of ingredients:
- Sweet potato– Look for a large sweet potato. I prefer leaving the peel on but you can peel it if you prefer. If you leave the peel on, just remove any knobs or nubs. You could also use precut sweet potato fries that you find in the produce section of the grocery store.
- Olive oil– Just a little. You can either measure it out or use an olive oil spray.
- Seasoning– This recipe calls for just salt and pepper but you can add other spice blends if you like. We often add a bit of chili powder and cumin for a southwestern take.
You’ll also need these kitchen tools:
- Air Fryer– We have this basket fryer and love it.
- Cutting board and sharp knife
- Vegetable peeler (optional)
How to Make
Making these is so easy! To do it:
- Prep and cut the sweet potato.
Wash the sweet potato and cut away any of the larger eyes and nubs. Then cut the potato into fry shapes. See below for how to cut sweet potato fries.
Toss the fries with olive oil, salt and pepper.
Set your air fryer to 380. When your fryer is hot, add the fries to the basket. Be careful not to overcrowd the basket. The fries shouldn’t be overlapping. Air fry at 380 for 12 minutes, flipping the fries after 6 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
How to Cut Sweet Potatoes into Fries
The trickiest part of this whole process is cutting the sweet potatoes into fry shapes, but with a little elbow grease and a good knife, it’s pretty easy.
To cut sweet potato fries:
- Cut the ends off the fries.
You want a flat edge on each end. It will help you more easily cut the potatoes.
Place the flat side down on your cutting board.
Can I make frozen sweet potato fries in the air fryer?
To do this, just use your favorite brand of frozen sweet potato fries and set your air fryer to 400. You can brush or spray a little oil on the fries.
When your air fryer is ready, spread the fries out in a single layer over the basket, making sure they don’t overlap.
Then, air fry the fries for 12 to 15 minutes, flipping the fries halfway through the cook time.
Keep in mind, thinner cut sweet potato fries will need less time than thicker cut fries.
Tips and Tricks
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer. You want minimal overlapping.
- You can play with seasoning blends. I love them just like this, with cumin and chili powder or with a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar.
- If you prefer, you can use an oil spray instead of measuring out your oil and just lightly mist your fries.
Serving and Storing
These sweet potato fries are best served the day you make them.
You can serve them as a side dish to your favorite sandwich or you can turn them into a meal in and of themselves. I love making these healthy loaded sweet potato fries for dinner when I’m in the mood for nachos or these buffalo chicken sweet potato fries for a spicy game day app.
Other Air Fryer Recipes
Looking for other ways to put your air fryer to use? Try these recipes:
Did you make these AIR FRYER SWEET POTATO FRIES or any other recipe on my site? Leave me a comment below and let me know how you liked it. And make sure you follow along with me on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram to see everything we’ve got going on.
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 tbs olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the air fryer to 380.
- Prep and cut the sweet potato. Wash the sweet potato and cut away any of the larger eyes and nubs. Then cut the potato into fry shapes.
- Season. Toss the fries with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Air fry and enjoy! Set your air fryer to 380. When your fryer is hot, add the fries to the basket. Be careful not to overcrowd the basket. The fries shouldn't be overlapping. Air fry at 380 for 12 minutes, flipping the fries after 6 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
see post for notes
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 111Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 168mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 1g