Easy Pumpkin Oreos
Halloween is supposed to be scary right?
Well, there’s nothing scary about these easy Oreo Pumpkins except how my daughter is after eating half a package of candy eyeballs. That, my friends, is truly scary indeed. However, if you could hear the little voice going, “More eyeballs, peas, Mama,” then you might let her gorge herself on them too.
I wish I had audio recording of making these with her. It was ridiculous sounding. You would have thought I was raising a little cannibal.
In all seriousness though, these Oreo Pumpkins are easy enough to make, even with a little one helping you. Just be prepared to lose a lot of candy eyeballs along the way if your kiddo is anything like mine. It was really fun to make these with her too. I’m excited that Goose is finally at the age where I can do these easy food crafts with her. This was a big thing for me in the era known as B.K. (before kid). Now that she is old enough to follow directions mostly, this kind of thing will be happening a lot more.
We’ll just have to work on her not eating the candy eyeballs in process.
And indeed, these are so easy. You just need a few things: Oreos or other round sandwich cookies, orange candy melts, a spoonful or two of coconut oil, and some tootsie rolls. That’s it!
Then to do it, you melt the candy melts with a spoon or two of coconut oil and stir until smooth. Pro tip: don’t skip the oil. I tried this without the oil and rather than looking like cute silly pumpkins, they looked like the ultimate Pinterest fail.
Roll out a tootsie roll using your hands into a long thin rope.
Then dip the cookies into the melted candy. If you only do a few at a time, it works best.
Then before the candy sets, press a small piece of the rolled Tootsie Roll into the side of the cookie.
Then press on the eyes.
If the candy has firmed up just dab a little more melted candy on the back of the eyeballs and gently put them on. Draw on some mouths with icing gel, and boom: Oreo Pumpkins.
Looking for other Halloween recipes? Try my chipotle pumpkin cheese dip.
Serves 1 cookie
Easy Oreo Pumpkins perfect for Halloween
15 minPrep Time
15 minTotal Time
- 12-15 Oreos*
- 1 package of candy eyeballs
- 12 ounces of orange candy melts
- 1-2 tbs coconut oil
- 2-3 tootsie rolls*
- Decorator gel
- Melt the candy melts in the microwave by microwaving for 30 seconds. Stir even if not melted. Microwave an additional ten seconds. Stir. Repeat until melted totally. Stir in coconut oil and continue to stir until melted and candy is at desired consistency.
- Unwrap 2 Tootsie Rolls. Roll them in your hands like you are making a clay snake. Roll until they form a thin rope. Break into roughly half inch pieces.
- Dip an Oreo into the melted candy using a dipping tool. Shake off excess. Set on wax paper. Repeat with 2 more.
- Press a piece of Tootsie roll into side to create a stem. Then press on candy eyes. Let harden and repeat with other cookies.
- When cookies are all dry, draw on mouths and noses with decorator gel.
You may be able to make more, depending on how many candy eyeballs you have and how many candy eyeballs your kid eats in the process.