The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
I hesitate to share this recipe. It might be white noise, because there are like a zillion and two chocolate chip cookie recipes out there. But it really is good: the best. Better than the recipe on the bag of chocolate chips. Also I can take no credit for this recipe whatsoever. It comes directly from my mother in law. And it’s perfect just the way it is so I felt no need to mess with it.
Like I can’t make these cookies more than a couple times of year good because when it comes to these cookies all members of my family have zero self control. Zilch.
I wasn’t sure if it was just the members of this household that felt this way about these cookies. But nope. We went to a cookie baking party yesterday, which btws, if you haven’t done this and you like to bake, you should totally do. It’s so much fun to be in a kitchen with friends and family making a bunch of different cookie recipes. Everyone decided on a couple of recipes they wanted to make ahead of time. There were peanut butter blossoms, cranberry white chocolate cookies, spritz cookies…
I decided I wanted to make these sugar cookies since I am currently obsessed with royal icing. Really obsessed. I haven’t loved cookie decorating this much in a really long time. But since I am not awesome at it yet (#goals), I wanted to make something tried and true.
And let me tell you. Any doubts I had about this cookie recipe not being THE BEST chocolate chip cookie recipe around went out the window. Everyone at the party loved them. And the cookie dough. Not that you are supposed to eat the raw dough, but really does that stop anyone?
These cookies are perfect: chewy, crispy edges, a little gooey. Literally everything a good chocolate chip cookie is supposed to be. And it’s amazing in giant skillet chocolate chip cookie form.
Looking for other cookie recipes? Try these:
- Stuffed Cookies 3 Ways
- S’mores Stuffed Cookie Bars
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Butter Bars
- Brown Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Serves 1 cookie
The best chocolate chip cookies perfect for Christmas cookies or year round sweet tooth cravings
20 minPrep Time
9 minCook Time
29 minTotal Time
- 1 cup of softened butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of packed light brown sugar
- 2 egg
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips**
- Preheat the oven to 350
- While the oven is preheating, in a stand mixer cream together the butter, sugars, vanilla, and eggs. Beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Add about a third of the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, and mix until combined. Repeat two more times with the rest of the dry ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Roll into balls and place 3-4 inches apart on a nonstick cookie sheet.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 9-11 minutes, or until the edges of the cookie are golden and the center is set but slightly soft.
* you can use gluten free all purpose flour, but cut the amount down to 2 1/4 cups since it is slightly denser than regular flour
**TBH, I just fold in all the chocolate chips in a bag. Sometimes more. Because you can never have too many chocolate chips.