After a long, glorious holiday weekend full of good food and fun times, my fridge is full of grill leftovers. That’s really not a bad thing. Because when I have grill leftovers, I get creative and breathe new life into them. And then, sometimes, if I am lucky, greatness happens like it did with these barbecue chicken tacos with corn and avocado salsa.
Honestly, I need these delicious bites in my life today. Not only are they a healthy take on tacos (which I need after a weekend full of this and this) and barbecue leftovers, they make the end of the awesome holiday weekend a lot easier to swallow.
Easier to swallow. Tacos. Oh I’m so punny.
But these tacos are perfect for getting back to real life and still celebrating summer. Plus, they are super easy to throw together with some leftover (or you can make it fresh) barbecue chicken and sweet grilled corn on the cob. (If you don’t have any leftover barbecue chicken but have leftover roast chicken, that’ll work too. Just throw some barbecue sauce on it!) Those two foods are practically the taste of summer days and all the barefoot outdoor fun that comes along with these gloriously warm days.
Granted, if you are my Goose, you might not think summer is as fun as the rest of the world does. We took her swimming this weekend for the first time since last year. Now she loved swimming during her baby days and loves splashing in the tub. This year, the pool was a totally different story. She clung to us for dear life and looked absolutely terrified even in the baby pool. (Other things that terrify her: hibachi dinners- particularly when the chef makes the volcano out of onion rings- and stink bugs.) Fortunately she enjoyed it more the second time she went swimming but we still have our work cut out for us.
These barbecue chicken tacos are much less work than convincing our kid that swimming is fun. Just throw some zesty barbecue chicken on a soft corn taco shell. Top this with a quick mix of corn, avocado, tomato, jalapeno, and lime juice and dinner’s done and before you know it you’re enjoying summertime goodness all wrapped up in a tortilla.
- 1 pound of cooked barbecued chicken*
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 cup of any kind of barbecue sauce
- tablespoon of garlic powder
- tablespoon of chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ear of corn on the cob, cooked
- 1 jalapeno
- the juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1 ripe tomato
- 1 avocado
- 1 clove of pressed garlic
- 4 scallions, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup of Mexican style shredded cheese, divided
- If using leftover chicken, skip ahead to making the salsa.
- Sprinkle 2 chicken breasts with garlic, chili powder, salt and pepper. Pour one cup of barbecue sauce on the chicken breast and toss the chicken in it until coated. Let marinate in the fridge for at least a half an hour but up to overnight.
- Cook on the grill until the chicken reaches an internal temp of 165 degrees (about 6 minutes per side). Brush on additional sauce while grilling if desired.
- Set aside when done.
- For the salsa
- Dice the tomato and avocado and set in a bowl.
- Remove kernels from corn by sliding a knife down the sides of the corn. Combine corn with the avocado and tomato.
- Cut the jalapeno in half length wise. Remove the seeds and white ribbing from the inside and discard. Dice the rest of the jalapeno and add to the corn, avocado, and tomato.
- Zest a lime on top of your veggies, then add the juice of the lime and toss together, making sure to coat the veggies thoroughly.
- Finish by adding one pressed garlic clove, 4 chopped scallions, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss together.
- To assemble tacos
- Place desired amount of barbecue chicken in corn tortilla.
- Top with as much salsa as desired.
- Garnish with shredded Mexican cheese.
*If following a gluten free diet, check your barbecue sauce and corn tortillas to make sure they are gluten free.